I’ve created Swimming Yoga so that you can receive the benefits of both- yoga and swimming at the same time.
I guess we all know that as well as being fun, swimming is a great way to keep fit, stay healthy and also make friends.
Swimming is a great form of conditioning because you need to move your whole body against the resistance of the water and it is a healthy activity that you can continue for a lifetime.
Swimming Yoga teaches you about the union of the body, breath and mind.
I teach my clients how to breathe and move freely and comfortably, ultimately how to move through their lives with ease.
As a bonus each Swimming Yoga session gives you the feeling of being weightless in the water as the force of gravity decreases.
You feel free again because no matter what your physical limitations are you can move forward!
As our bodies become stronger and better nourished our mental state changes as well. We become more aware of ourselves, of others and more compassionate to ourselves and others.
Benefits (more yoga related):
- A practice that unites breath and movement can reduce the incidence and severity of sympathetic nervous function (fight or flight) and reduces the storage of stress hormones like cortisol which tend to accompany chronic stress and have been found to cause excess weight storage, especially in the abdomen.
- Regular practice supports the parasympathetic nervous system to create a “relaxation response”.
- Present-moment-focus calms the mind and creates a “mirror” for your internal and external experiences to be observed with more consciousness and compassion (including self-compassion)
- The practice of “effortless effort” teaches us how to be strong but relaxed in movement, sport, and in everyday life.
Benefits (more swimming related):
- Water takes big portion of the impact of gravity off your body freeing it and allowing you to move forward while lying as opposed to standing.
- Builds muscle and cardiovascular endurance.
- Helps maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs.
- Water massages gently your entire body while you are swimming providing benefits similar to lymphatic drainage – like reduced swelling (after long periods of immobility such as sitting o standing at work, fluid tends to stagnate in the tissue making it puffy and tender).
- Conditions such as arthritis often have joints that are congested with fluid. All of these respond well when fluid is reduced with lymphatic drainage.
- Tones muscles, nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming
- Improves coordination, balance and posture
- Improves flexibility
- Provides good low-impact therapy for some injuries and conditions
- Is a great way to cool down on a hot summer day 🙂
Whether you are a beginner or advanced swimmer, whether you want to lose weight, improve fitness or rehabilitate after being injured;
…or life has just become a little too busy and overwhelming
…or perhaps you are just happy where you are and wish to maintain this state or… take it even higher 🙂
Swimming Yoga is for you!
If you like to book a session or just get some more information call me or complete the form below and we I’ll call you back!